Supporting Young Adult Volunteers
March 24, 2018
Young Adult Volunteers (YAVs) engage in a faith-based year of service in over 20 sites around the world and in the U.S. YAVs, ages 19–30, accompany local agencies working to address root causes of poverty and reconciliation while exploring the meaning and motivation of their faith in intentional Christian community with peers and mentors for one academic year, August through July.
We ask all YAVs to participate in the fund-raising process for the program, but also recognize that communities have different capacities to financially support young adults. While this does not relinquish the YAV to seek a community of support during their volunteer year, it can help ease their financial burden when considering a year of service.
YAVs receive ongoing support and counsel from a staff experienced in cross-cultural, international mission. Site coordinators and YAV staff at the Presbyterian Mission Agency are on call 24 hours a day to deal with everyday assistance as well as to handle emergencies and security concerns around the world. YAVs continue a Presbyterian mission heritage that began more than 180 years ago.
While embracing innovative ideas, YAVs remain grounded in a holistic vision of the gospel, an allegiance to doing mission in partnership and a commitment to collaborating with mission leaders across our church. Program benefits during the YAV year include a regular stipend, housing, transportation assistance and student-loan repayment options for the duration of the service year.
We are grateful for grassroots Presbyterians who across the years have faithfully supported our church’s mission efforts with heartfelt prayers and generous financial gifts to the YAV program.
Annual YAV sending and support costs
YAV direct annual costs: $17,900
- Stipend: food, transportation, taxes
- Health insurance
- Student loan assistance
- Supervision and mentoring
- Language study
- Visa costs
- Periodic retreats/reflections
- Vocational guidance/direction
- Travel to/from place of service
- Recruitment and placement
- Orientation and training
Annual support ministries: $4,600
- Providing oversight and direction of the YAV program
- Providing care, support and counseling services for YAVs
- Providing security monitoring, including 24/7 on-call support and evacuation costs
- Building and nurturing relationships with international partner churches and national organizations that serve as hosts for YAVs to serve in their local communities
- Interpreting the work of YAVs to the wider church through publications, video production and social media
- Developing and sustaining relationships with mid councils, congregations and individuals, inviting their engagement and prayerful support of YAVs and their local partners
Of these costs, we ask YAVs to raise $4,000 for national service and $5,000 for international service.
Lynne Foreman, Mission Engagement Advisor, Mission Engagement and Support, Presbyterian Mission Agency
Today’s Focus: Supporting Young Adult Volunteers
Let us join in prayer for:
PC(USA) Agencies’ Staff
Kathleen Henrion, OGA
Brian Henson, PMA
Let us pray:
God of young and old, we thank you for the opportunity to learn and grow together. Continue to stretch our boundaries, that we may ever grow into the people you have created us to be. Amen.
Morning Psalms 43; 149
First Reading Exodus 10:21-11:8
Second Reading 2 Corinthians 4:13-18
Gospel Reading Mark 10:46-52
Evening Psalms 31; 143