In his book, The Missional Leader, Alan Roxburgh says, “The challenge for so many church leaders, whether or not they have received formal training, is that they are not equipped to lead such a church. They were trained to pastor and teach in an existing church context to the satisfaction of its members…. We need the entrepreneurial leader who can birth new faith communities. We need the prophet who has learned the discipline of listening to God and is able to impart a clear vision and discerning counsel. We need the evangelist who can commend Christ with grace and authority and equip the local church to communicate the good news ….”
We cannot depend solely on seminaries to provide the kind of leadership equipping that is demanded by a new kind of church. We are designing a variety of training opportunities to prepare, equip and sustain the kind of prophetic leadership needed during a time of unprecedented change in the church.
1001 New Worshiping Communities training includes:
- an annual national conference where new and experienced leaders and supporters of new worshiping communities gather to learn from one another;
- regional gatherings—one-day trainings for people interested in evangelism, discerning or actively engaging in a 1001 New Worshiping Community call.
- presentations and conferences sponsored by mid councils;
- online training/webinars;
- cohorts for leaders of new worshiping communities;
- retreats for spiritual renewal;
- print resources, such as Starting New Worshiping Communities (available in English, Spanish and Korean).