By Andrew Kang Bartlett
Delegates from the world’s nations, and yours truly, will gather in Katowice, Poland to lay out the rules that will implement the 2015 Paris Agreement, policies that will affect the lives of billions of people.
As the delegates assemble, people of faith and good will can raise their voices together for strong and urgent action. It is especially important that people from the United States speak with a unified voice, making it clear that we do not agree with our administration’s denial of climate science, and talk of withdrawing from the Paris Agreement.
I strongly urge you to endorse the People’s Demands for COP24. This statement was developed by 14 organizations including a number of PHP’s partners. Please add your name to the list of more than 243,000 signatures from 129 countries.
Please sign on to this statement as soon as possible — preferably by the end of the day, Saturday, December 1 — since the Climate Summit starts on the 2nd.
There are six main points to The People’s Demands:
- Keep fossil fuels in the ground.
- Reject false solutions that are displacing real, people-first solutions to the climate crisis.
- Advance real solutions that are just, feasible, and essential.
- Honor climate finance obligations to developing countries.
- End corporate interference in and capture of the climate talks.
- Ensure developed countries honor their “Fair Shares” for largely fueling this crisis.
More details on these at www.peoplesdemands.org . Please sign today, and spread the word to other individuals and organizations who might sign.
- See Climate Change and You for a brief explanation of the Climate Summit
Thanks to Peter Sawtell at Eco-Justice Ministries for the inspiration.