About Our Office
The Office of Gender and Racial Justice in Racial Equity & Women’s Intercultural Ministries (RE&WIM) and the Office of Racial & Intercultural Justice, a joint office in RE&WIM and the Compassion, Peace and Justice ministry area, offers workshops, trainings, and other educational events to help participants initiate conversations around antiracism, antisexism and gender bias.
In cultural humility and antiracism trainings and workshops, participants will explore systemic racism and examine their experiences related to race and to the power and privilege that sustains racism. In gender justice trainings, participants will explore ways to combat gender bias. Tools and resources presented will help participants take next steps in disrupting racism and sexism and engaging in work for racial and gender equity and will range from interactivities to exploring the churchwide policy Facing Racism: A Vision of the Intercultural Community, approved by the 222nd General Assembly (2016), along with the six-part study guide on the policy and more.
The offices work in partnership with other offices in Racial Equity & Women’s Intercultural Ministries, Compassion, Peace & Justice, the Presbyterian Mission Agency and the Office of the General Assembly to help Presbyterians address racial and gender justice issues through advocacy and witness.
Training and workshops
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the workshops, trainings and other educational events available through the offices of Gender and Racial Justice and Racial and Intercultural Justice.
Doctrine of Discovery
The 222nd General Assembly (2016) of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) called the church to confess its complicity and repudiate the Doctrine of Discovery. The action also called for a review of the history of the doctrine and the writing of a report on the doctrine.
Resources for Antiracism Work
- 2018 Redbook
- Facing Racism: A Vision of the Intercultural Community Policy
- Facing Racism: A Vision of the Intercultural Community Study Guides
- Engaging the Confession of Belhar
- Race, Reconciliation and Reformation – resources from the Big Tent
- One Church, One Book – resources to engage Waking Up White
- Shifting Accountability for Racial Ethnic Ministries in the PC(USA) from Variety to Equity study guide
- Becoming the Beloved Community Antiracism Packet from Presbyterian Women in the PC(USA)