October 13-20, 2019
We envision a world where everyone has enough affordable, healthy and culturally appropriate food where no one is hungry, and where all who work in the food chain
are fairly compensated, respected and celebrated!
Join us in building more equitable and ecological food & farm systems!
The Global Food Week of Action includes World Food Day (Oct. 16), International Day for Rural Women (Oct. 15), and International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (Oct. 17).
2019 Action Areas
CLIMATE JUSTICE: The climate crisis calls for action at every level — personal, institutional, national and global.
FAMINE: The resurgence of famine and extreme hunger in several parts of the world requires a rapid response.
FOOD SOVEREIGNTY: Actions to expand agroecology, food justice, and food sovereignty cool the planet and meet people’s need for sustenance, livelihoods, and agency.
The DAYS of the FOOD WEEK OF ACTION
Local and national actions will be added to the timeline as cosponsors and others announce events, actions and campaigns.
Oct 13 — Announce and preach on the Food Week of Action
Oct 14 — Celebrate Food Week of Action in your community or workplace; action TBD
Oct 15 — International Day for Rural Women
Oct 16 — World Food Day: Join the Food Sovereignty Prize Live-Stream!
Oct 17 — International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
Oct 18 — Action TBD
Oct 19 — Action TBD
Oct 20 — Preach about hunger and World Food Day; Other action TBD
Publicize your event, action or worship service happening in October, during Food Week, or on World Food Day!
Fill out this form to get your event on the map.
- PHP Response to Extreme Hunger and Famine
- Just Transition: A Framework for Change – from the Climate Justice Alliance
- Leaders of Color Discuss Structural Racism and White Privilege in the Food System from Civil Eats
- Mass Incarceration: A Major Cause to Hunger — from Bread for the World, as part of their Racial Wealth Gap Learning Simulation resources (new at org/simulation)
- Agroecology: Putting Food Sovereignty into Action | Poner la Soberanía Alimentaria en Práctica (en español)
- International Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge, Science, and Technology for Development: IAASTD Fact Sheet: The IAASTD, a major international scientific report, concludes that in order to feed 9 billion people in 2050, we urgently need to adopt the most effective and sustainable farming systems, and recommends a shift towards agroecology as a means of sustainably boosting food production and improving the situation of the poorest people and communities.
Bring food sovereignty to your church, community and town. Download the Food Sovereignty for All: Overhauling Our Food System with Faith-Based Initiatives Guide and make a plan to do the Just Eating? Practicing Our Faith at the Table curriculum. pcusa.org/justeating
Worship and Theological Resources
- Ten Commandments of Food
- Food Week bulletin Insert
- Food Week Liturgy
- World Food Day Prayer
- Seven Prayers for Food Week of Action
Agricultural Justice Project
Alliance for Fair Food
CATA – The Farmworker Support Committee
Cincinnati Union Co-op Initiative and Our Harvest Cooperative
Climate Justice Alliance
Common Ground Farm
Community to Community Development
Creation Justice Ministries
Denver Food Rescue
Faith Action Network
Food AND Medicine
Food Chain Workers Alliance
Food in Neighborhoods Community Coalition
Frederick Food Security Network
The Good Tree
Interfaith Sustainable Food Collaborative
Jubilee USA Network
Multinational Exchange for Sustainable Agriculture
National Family Farm Coalition
National Farm Worker Ministry
Northeast Organic Farming Association of NY
Northwest Atlantic Marine Alliance
Organización Boricuá de Agricultura Ecológica de Puerto Rico
Pesticides Action Network – North America
Plainsong Farm & Ministry
Presbyterian Hunger Program, PC(USA)
Presbyterians for Earth Care
Self-Help Credit Union
Somali Bantu Community Association
Soul Fire Farm
Student Action With Farmworkers
Sustainable Agriculture of Louisville – SAL
Tippecanoe Presbyterian Church
US Food Sovereignty Alliance