Origin of the Grant Program
On the 10th anniversary of Comfort My People: A Policy Statement on Serious Mental Illness (2008), the 223rd General Assembly (2018) established a two-year Mental Health Initiative with funding for a $250,000 grant program spread over 2019–20 to empower Presbyterian congregations, mid councils and seminaries to address mental health. The grant program has spurred innovation in mental health ministries across the denomination. An additional $125,000 has been committed to extend the grant program through 2021/2022. An additional $60,000 was authorized by the 225th General Assembly to extend the grant funding into 2023.
Purpose of the Grant Program
This grant program provides “seed money” for Presbyterian congregations, mid councils and seminaries to initiate or advance mental health ministries that educate, equip and empower churches to reach out to and with people living with mental health issues and their loved ones:
- To expand mental health awareness, understanding of mental health issues and advocacy for mental health services.
- To eliminate the stigma surrounding mental health, especially serious mental illnesses.
- To become more welcoming, inclusive and supportive faith communities for people living with mental health concerns.
Priority is given to funding projects with the widest potential impact that fulfill one or more of the Comfort My People Action Recommendations for congregations, mid councils and seminaries adopted by the 223rd General Assembly.
Please note: Funding cannot be used for degree program scholarships, permanent staff positions, or subsidizing individual counseling sessions.
Applying to the Grant Program
Before starting your application, you are encouraged to read through the application form and all supplemental documents found below:
- Applicant’s Guide
- Guía para solicitantes sobre el proceso de subvenciones del ministerio de salud mental
- 정신건강 사역 보조금 신청 절차 안내
- Grant Application Form (fillable PDF form) (Word Doc Version)
- Formulario de solicitud de subvención del ministerio de salud mental
- 정신 건강 사역 기금 신청서 (한국어)
- Comfort My People Action Recommendations for Congregations, Mid-Councils, and Seminaries adopted by the 223rd GA (2018)
- Recomendaciones de acción de Comfort My People (Consuela a mi pueblo)
- 내 백성을 위로하라 행동 권고안 제 223차 총회(2018) 채택, 항목 10-11
- Tips for Writing a Strong Grant Proposal
- Consejos para Escribir una Solicitud Exitosa
- 효과적인 보조금 신청서 작성을 위한 조언
- Description of Projects Awarded Grants in Cycle 1 of 2, 2019
- Beneficiarios del programa de subvenciones del Ministerio de Salud Mental Ciclo 1 de 2, 2019
- 정신건강 사역 보조금 프로그램 수령자2019년 제 1주기
All grant applicants must be PC(USA) entities. Individuals are not eligible to apply. To facilitate the widest impact and sharing of good project ideas, congregations applying for grants are expected to share the grant application with their presbytery and seek an endorsement letter for the project.
Completed applications should be submitted by email to:
Lacey Hunter – Manager, Finance and Administration – email@example.com
Timeline for Processing Applications
The next cycle of grant applications will be due May 1, 2024.
For more information, please contact either: