Research Services helps the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) make fact-based decisions, based on scientific research processes and reports. We have statistical data that is available to all Presbyterians and to the public. We’ve outlined here some of our most recent work.
Who We Are and What We Do
Research Services provides a wide variety of services including articles and reports, demographics information, statistics, program evaluations and Ten-Year Trends. Here are some additional services we can provide your congregation.
Listening to the Church
Part of our mission is to seek feedback from the denomination. Help us in that effort by letting us know what’s on your mind:
- If you have a specific research question, we’ll try to find an answer. (For more general questions, contact PresbyTel — the reference desk for the PCUSA — providing answers to questions from members, elders, ministers, and others about the denomination’s resources and materials, programs, policies, and conferences and other events. PresbyTel can be reached at (800) 872-3283 or send email to: PresbyTel.
- If you have questions or feedback about our work, please let us know. Send such comments to: Research Services.
- We’re also interested in what you think of our home page and how we could improve it. Send your feedback.
Research and Evaluation Expertise
The office of Research Services provides quality service to all entities of the denomination to help the church understand itself and to monitor the larger society in which it is located.
Research Services can provide services in:
- program and process evaluation
- congregational self-assessments and member surveys
- meeting and conference evaluations
- needs assessment
- census data analysis
- evaluations of church entities
- focus groups
- customer satisfaction surveys
- resource evaluations
- pre-testing of new resources
- trend analysis
For information about research capabilities, email Deb Coe (Coordinator of Research Services).
We are sorry, but Research Services does not provide genealogical research assistance. If you are trying to trace your family tree or to gather information about your relatives, we can suggest several sources.
There are several helpful web pages that you might try:
- Archives: information on online genealogy helps, software, newsgroups and mailing lists, libraries and research societies, books, and events
- The Rootsweb Genealogical Data Cooperative
- Geneology.com: from the makers of Family Tree Maker software
- GenSource: Advanced Resources for Successful Geneology
If you are trying to gather information about someone who was a minister or mission worker in the Presbyterian Church, you can also contact the Presbyterian Historical Society in Philadelphia. Their telephone number is 215-627-1852. Or you can send mail to: Presbyterian Historical Society, 425 Lombard Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147. Their website provides additional information about their reference services, and you can submit a request online.
Data from the Presbyterian Panel, Comparative Statistics, and Clerks Annual Questionnaire are available for use by presbyteries, synods, and congregations. In addition, we are willing to make these data available to researchers interested in conducting secondary analyses.
All files are available for a minimal fee in spreadsheet or data base format (e.g., Paradox, EXCEL, etc.) or in SPSS-X format.
For information about available data or to order specific files, please contact Research Services.
Data from the Presbyterian Panel and denominational data are also available from the American Religion Data Archive.
We also have a wealth of resources available to congregations who want to know about their congregations and/or about their local communities. Our Help for Congregations page describes these resources.