This summer, 2014, marks the 5th year of certification for 13 of PCUSA’s certified Earth Care Congregations. For five years, these churches have been growing ever deeper in their ministry and witness and for five years, the PCUSA Earth Care Congregation continues to grow nationally. At 139 congregations as of this writing, PCUSA Earth Care Congregations demonstrates the passion people have to care for God’s creation as part of Christian discipleship and living out their faith in the world.
The below thirteen churches will “turn 5” this year (as PCUSA Earth Care Congregations). While this is a fun marker and celebration, we also recognize that many congregations have spent many more years working to bring earth care into worship, education, facilities, and outreach even before this certification program was created.
Churches certified in 2010 for their work in the previous year(s):
- Light Street Presbyterian Church in Baltimore, MD
- First Presbyterian Church of Cottage Grove, OR
- Maryland Presbyterian Church, Towson, MD
- First Presbyterian Church of Howard County, Columbia, MD
- North Como Presbyterian Church, Roseville, MN
- Frame Memorial Presbyterian Church, Stevens Point, WI
- Swarthmore Presbyterian Church, Swarthmore, PA
- St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, Tucker, GA
- Montevallo Presbyterian Church, Montevallo, AL
- Church of the Reconciliation, Chapel Hill, NC
- Bardstown Road Presbyterian Church, Louisville, KY
- Trinity Presbyterian Church, East Brunswick, NJ
At General Assembly, at the Presbyterians for Earth Care Luncheon, we had birthday cake and sang “Happy Birthday” to Earth Care Congregations! As summer continues, we hope to roll out more Earth Care stories of these and other churches doing wonderful things this summer, so stay in touch as we anticipate good things to come!
Great gratitude to Presbyterians for Earth Care for helping to support congregations and celebrate this milestone, and for each and every church serving our Savior through this form of discipleship!