Tools for trip leaders
As you prepare and plan for your mission trip experience, find ways to ensure that it is an enriching experience for both you and the community you will be visiting. Use the resources below as you begin your journey in God's incredible mission.
Planning and leading a mission trip
- Doing Short Term Mission Well: Prepare, learn and share - Click here
- How do you decide on the destination for a mission trip? - Download Here
Deciding on your mission trip destination is a discernment process that can engage your congregation’s or presbytery’s mission committee and other groups. We encourage you to think of the mission trip not as an end unto itself, but as one step in a journey of deeper engagement in the global mission of the church. The questions in this document will help your group in the discernment process of selecting a destination.
- Best Practices for Mission Trips - Download Here
- Sample Mission Trip Schedule - Download Here
Use this mission trip schedule template to ensure that your trip offers a good balance between activity and relationship-building; action and reflection; giving and receiving.
- Two Fantastic Resources for Planners, available online! Click here
- When God's People Travel Together - a three-volume set, including a leader's manual, a resource to help participants reflect on their experiences and Bible studies on partnership
- Faith in Action, by Stephen Knisely and Gabrielle Beasley - a two volume set for reflection on sustainable mission involvement. Interactive sessions by Gabrielle Beasley offers practical lessons and worksheets for mission education.
Reflection and education about short-term mission
- What We Bring With Us: A letter from Doug Orbaker, former mission co-worker in Nicaragua - Download Here
Mission is the life we bring with us when we go to another place to serve, and it is the even richer life that we take back with us when we return.
- The Power of Empty Hands - Download Here
(Spanish version: El Poder de las Manos Vacias - Download Here)
In "The Power of Empty Hands," our Director of World Mission, Rev. Dr. Hunter Farrell, examines how the mission worker should put material wealth into perspective when visiting third world countries. He reminds us that the mission worker may be the one to receive “gifts.”
- When Canned Food Drives Are No Longer Enough - Download Here
Right now, the Presbyterian Disaster Assistance office may have some opportunities for mission trips for medical coverage. Here is the web address: www.pcusa.org/pda
PC(USA) used to/still does?? have a way to register international mission trips for medical coverage. Is this still available? If so, how do we sign up?