Celebrate Earth Day Sunday or other Creation Care Worship Services
In the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) hymnals (including the new hymnal Glory to God), Book of Common Worship, Directory for Worship, and other worship planning tools, there are many great resources that name ways that all Creation praises God’s name, and how we can give thanks to God for the wonder and beauty of the world around us. Explore these traditional, good tools and find out what rich resources exist already in our church!
Earth Day is celebrated on April 22 each year, and Presbyterian churches are urged to celebrate Earth Day Sunday near this date or to use the resource for any other worship with a theme of Environmental Justice. The resource is written to be useful year-round. Some dates to consider include: Earth Day Sunday on April 22, World Day of Prayer for Care of Creation on September 1, or October 8, the Sunday before Columbus Day / Indigenous Peoples’ Day. Creation Justice Ministries (formerly the National Council of Churches Eco-Justice Program) produces Earth Day Sunday resources each year. With sermon starters, prayers, Christian education suggestions, action tips, and more, the downloadable resource (and web page) has really great information, compiled by pastors. Click here for the 2018 resource on “Sense of Place.”
Earth Day Sunday Archives and Other Worship Resources
Use the links below for materials to examine past Earth Day themes with your congregation.
- 2017 Environmental Justice with Indigenous Peoples
- Earth Day Sunday 2016, “Caring for God’s Creatures”
- Earth Day Sunday 2015 “Have You Anything Here to Eat: Sustainable Food in a Changing Climate” find the Presbyterian version of this food and climate Earth Day Sunday resource here! Also, find a great corresponding climate & food poster, from the Presbyterian Hunger Program.
- Earth Day Sunday resource, 2013 – Sunday Morning Sustainability: Eco-Justice Impacts and Opportunities
Helpful Websites (hymns, scripture selections, sermons and more)
- Presbyterians for Earth Care (includes Presbyterian Hymnal list of hymns and a list of Scripture passages)
- Creation Justice Ministries (includes annual Earth Day Sunday resources)
- Eco-Justice Ministries
- Earth Ministry
- Green Faith
- Interfaith Power and Light
- Season of Creation
- Let All Creation Praise
- Presbyterian Hunger Program’s Environmental Ministries Advent and Lent daily calendars for congregations and individuals
Webinars on Eco-Justice Worship
January 26, 2015 webinar moderated by Ashley Goff (Church of the Pilgrims, Washington D.C.), a showcase of liturgical practices
Explore with worship leaders Neddy Astudillo, Claudio Carvalhaes, and Rob Mark what eco-justice worship can look like in various contexts: click here to watch the November 2013 webinar (on YouTube).