Celebrate Earth Day Sunday
Earth Day is celebrated on April 22 each year, and Presbyterian churches are urged to celebrate Earth Day Sunday near this date. In 2014, Easter is April 20, so you may wish to designate April 27th as Earth Day Sunday, or another date that works for your church.
The National Council of Churches Eco-Justice Program produces Earth Day Sunday resources each year.With sermon starters, prayers, and great information on a variety of energy issues, this ecumenical, 14-page resource should be a great starting point for your congregation's celebration.
The 2014 resource on "Holy Water" is ready! To download, click here.
Earth Day Archives
Use the links below for materials to examine past Earth Day themes with your congregation.
- 2013 - Sunday Morning Sustainability: Eco-Justice Impacts and Opportunities
- 2012 - A Life of Abundance: Energy and Ethics
- 2011 - Where Two or More are Gathered: Eco-Justice as Community.
- 2010 - Sacred Spaces and an Abundant Life
- 2009 - Celebrating and Caring for God's Creation
- 2008 - The Poverty of Global Climate Change
Earth Day Sunday materials for 2013 are still in development at National Council of Churches' Eco-Justice Program. My understanding is that the theme is Sustainability, how each part of preparing for and attending church can be an expression of caring for God's earth. I will post materials as soon as they are finalized!