Sunday, September 20
The Lord’s Day
|Share with a friend|
Season of Peace
Minute for Mission: Theological Education / Seminary Sunday
Today we celebrate the gift of theological education in the PC(USA) and especially the gift of the seminaries related to our church. Often we take theological education for granted, assuming that since it has been valued by Presbyterians in the past, it remains fully and adequately supported today. Our seminaries need our prayerful partnership as they do their part to strengthen the church of Jesus Christ and especially the PC(USA).
How do seminaries strengthen the church?
• Our PC(USA) seminaries ensure the development of church leaders to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ for generations to come. Dynamic new leaders deliver the church to future generations.
• Our seminaries educate leaders to serve congregations. Seminarians are grounded in biblical study, Presbyterian tradition, history, worship practices, and Reformed theology, and they gain practical knowledge with which to lead vibrant ministries.
• Our PC(USA) seminaries prepare servant leaders for bold mission outreach. Training extends far beyond the pulpit. The curriculum tackles difficult social realities and helps leaders discover practical solutions. Seminaries empower mission work locally and globally.
• Our seminaries equip leaders who reflect and support diverse congregational cultures and spiritual experiences. Our 12 seminaries offer 12 distinct cultures incorporating a diversity of perspectives to inform and broaden our understanding of the Christian community.
• Our PC(USA) seminaries prepare leaders who extend hope, comfort, and forgiveness within the Christian community. The seminary experience nurtures spiritual formation through worship, prayer, and sharing, all of which sustain those choosing a life of service.
Theological Education / Seminary Sunday is also an opportunity to support the ministries of our seminaries in a concrete way. Through support to the Theological Education Fund, congregations ensure that great leaders will be available to nurture the faith of our children and our grandchildren, who will themselves spread the gospel of Christ among future generations.
Let us pray
Gracious God, thank you for our seminaries. Strengthen us as we find courage to respond to your call. In the new life of Christ we pray. Amen.
Sunday Lectionary and Hymns
“A Prophet-Woman Broke a Jar”
“The One Is Blest”
James 3:13–4:3, 7–8a
“Lord Jesus, Think on Me”
GTG 417, HB 270, PH 301
“Lord, Listen to
Your Children Praying”