This year marks the 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide—the systematic massacre of one and a half million Armenians that began on April 24, 1915, and continued into the early 1920s. The 221st General Assembly (2014) of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) called on congregations to remember this event in worship on April 26, 2015 (the Fourth Sunday of Easter). Read the full text of the PC(USA) General Assembly action. The photo shows the painting “The Cliff” by Jerusalem-born artist Lucy Boyadjian Jangijian whose Uprooted Collection interprets the Armenian Genocide and the will to endure.
Prepare for your congregation’s April 26th commemoration. Click to download printable resources.
- Bulletin announcement and cover art by Lucy Jangijian, shared with permission.
- Hymn for the 100th anniversary: “Lord, to You Our People Cry,” by David Gambrell
- Prayers inspired by the Armenian tradition
- Pastoral prayer
- Liturgical resources and sermon material by Rev. Dr. Christine Chakoian
- Lavash bread recipe for communion (easy traditional flatbread)
- Print Minute for Mission bulletin insert about Presbyterian support for Armenians.
- Adopt a project with the Jinishian Memorial Program serving in the Middle East and Armenia.
- Five-minute video about Jinishian’s far-reaching ministries.
- October 2015 Pilgrimage Tour to Armenia–enjoy worship, warm hospitality, and hands-on encounter with faith-based community development.
- Give thanks for historical service that came from your own congregation toward Armenians. Connect with“America, We Thank you” campaign.
- Cross-country genocide-awareness bike race “LA2DC” April 24-May 7
- Print A Genocide Remembered, by Vartkes M. Kassouni (or read online below)
- Regional guest speakers available. Contact Jinishian staff for referrals.
- Read news stories and visit suggested websites on the Armenian Genocide.
- Annotated bibliography
- Bring awareness of Armenian history to community and schools with educational resources.
- Facing History and Ourselves: Armenian Genocide Resource Collection