community carrots

Even though I have a small garden of my own to tend to, Saturday morning found me thinning carrot seedlings along a 30 foot row at a local, volunteer-led garden called Harvest for the Hungry. Now in its 20th year, the garden grows and gives away organic food to local food banks and soup kitchens.

Foothillpenstemon300It is remarkable to me, a freely confessed high control need kind of personality, that the garden does what it does. It covers about 3/4 of acre on land loaned by a local Methodist Church and in addition to produce, it supplies cut flowers to hospice agencies as well as to food recipients. Other areas are set aside as demonstration gardens, either a collection of medicinal plants, simple habitats (what would grow w/o human intervention or tending) and back yard organic techniques. Composting in all its forms happens all over the garden. Pieces of art pop up in different corners and shaded sitting areas are thoughtfully placed. It is clearly a mature garden with multiple settings, a garden that grows (and shrinks) organically with the interest and energy of the volunteers who come and go.

Leave a Reply

• (will not be published)