Hello from Katowice! Yes, it is raining but spirits are high. I arrived by train last night from Warsaw after a 20-hour trip and shared my dinner table with Max, a sustainable bioenergy specialist from the National Wildlife Federation. Max, who grew up in Oakland, is also working to get Democrats and Republicans to join the Climate Solutions Caucus, a bipartisan caucus pushing for climate action – 45 Democrats and 45 Republicans (though the elections set them back a bit as a number of those Republicans lost their seats).
His video inspired me to post my own at the bottom. But before that, here are today’s Top Nine updates and stories that I hope you will find helpful.
- Sir David Attenborough: Climate change ‘our greatest threat’
- COP24 climate conference: World facing ‘greatest threat in thousands of years’ – new coverage from CNN
- How to pronounce ‘Katowice’
- Fighting Climate Change and Capitalism at the Same Time – A Q&A with Naomi Klein
- Jadwiga Lopata, Polish farmer and winner of the Goldman Environmental Prize and here is a video of her acceptance speech
- Why Geoengineering is ‘Untested’ and ‘Untestable’
- Oregon and California crabbers sue fossil fuel companies
- Meat and Dairy to Surpass Oil in Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Climate change: EU aims to be ‘climate neutral’ by 2050
My computer is at 4% and I don’t have the right plug adapter, so I’m signing off now…