Observe an Orange Day on the 25th of each month
Witness and act for an end to violence against women and girls
On the 25th of each month – join people around the world in observing an Orange Day to work for an end to violence against women and girls. This call comes from Say NO – UNiTE to End Violence against Women, a social mobilization platform on ending violence against women and girls that is related to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon’s campaign, UNiTE to End Violence against Women.
Pray and Worship
- Pray for guidance for all those who work to end violence against women. Pray that all people turn from violence.
- Opposing violence against women - a prayer by the Rev. Sarah Henkel
- Teaching elders can preach on the issue of ending violence against women and girls. Check out this sermon by the Rev. Jeffrey Geary of the White Plains Presbyterian Church.
- Ask your members of congress to pass an inclusive Violence Against Women Act that protects all women.
- Observe 16 Days of Activism against Gender Violence - UN Women
- Support 16 Days of Activism against Gender Violence Campaign - Rutgers University
- Take part in the Stop Rape Now campaign to stop the use of rape in war.
- Plan to observe Domestic Violence Awareness Month in October. The Presbyterians Against Domestic Violence Network provides ideas and liturgical resources.
- Wear orange. Tell those you meet why you are wearing orange. Take pictures and share them on social media with an explanation of why you are wearing orange.
- Join Presbyterians Against Domestic Violence.
- Create a group in your worshiping community, mid-council, school or other location to work to end violence against women and girls.
- Sign the global call for action to tell governments around the world that you want them to make ending violence against women and girls a top priority.
- Ask 3 people you know to sign the call to action.
- Join SayNO - UNiTE to End Violence Against Women on Facebook and share why you think ending violence against women and girls should be a priority for decision makers around the world.
Learn what others are doing and use your imagination
- See what other congregations are doing.
- The Nonviolent Peaceforce works to stop violence against women in South Sudan
- Use your imagination to identify and implement other ways of working to end violence against women and girls. Share your ideas. Of course working to end violence against women and girls is not a task for one day a month. Orange Days provide a reminder that, in Christ, we are called and freed to love one another and to pursue justice for all – each day and every day.