How to promote the 2012 Peacemaking Offering
Here are some guidelines to help you plan how to promote the offering. These guidelines assume that you will use all three of the bulletin inserts, the Offering brochure, and the minutes for mission, but you may decide not to use all of these materials. Use the ideas and materials that work best for your congregation.
- Ask the session to approve the receipt of the Peacemaking Offering on October 7.
- Check to make sure you have received your standing order of materials and order additional materials if necessary. (resources will be available soon)
- Set a goal as a challenge to the congregation.
- Develop a plan to interpret the Offering.
- Encourage Christian education leaders to include ideas from the Children’s Activities in the church curriculum on Sundays.
- Develop a plan to use the coin banks children will make to interpret the Offering.
- Plan a service using the worship resource in the Leader's Guide.
- Include an announcement in the church newsletter about the Offering and how the congregation will use its 25 percent share.
- Create an article about the congregation’s past and current peacemaking ministries and how the Offering has supported these ministries in previous years.
- Use the Offering video in a worship service and other church gatherings. Download it or order online.
- Display the Peacemaking Offering poster.
- Send reminders about World Communion Sunday and the Peacemaking Offering to congregation members. Consider sending the brochure “Discerning a Nonviolent Path” or a letter or writing a reminder for the newsletter.
- Place Offering envelopes in the pews and one of three bulletin inserts in the bulletin on September 16. Present a minute for mission about how your congregation will use its 25 percent share of the Offering.
- On September 23 insert the brochure “Discerning a Nonviolent Path” in the bulletin if you have not already sent it. Present one of the minutes for mission in the Leader's Guide or reproduce one in the bulletin. Remind the congregation how its 25 percent share of the Offering will be used.
- On September 30 use the worship resource for World Communion Sunday, present another minute for mission, and place a third bulletin insert in the bulletin.
- Remind the congregation how its 25 percent share of the Offering will be used, and encourage members to continue to contribute throughout the month.
- Celebrate peacemaking ministries the congregation has supported in the past and those it currently supports.
- Return the evaluation to the Special Offerings office.
- Thank the congregation.
- Ask the treasurer to remit the funds. Retain 25 percent of the Offering for the congregation’s peacemaking ministries and send the remaining 75 percent through your normal receiving site. (Your church treasurer will know the procedure.) If you have questions about fund remittance, call Central Receiving Service at (800) 728-7228, x5571.