How to promote the 2013 Peacemaking Offering
Here are some guidelines to help you plan how to promote the offering. These guidelines assume that you will use all three of the bulletin inserts, the Offering brochure, and the minutes for mission, but you may decide not to use all of these materials. Use the ideas and materials that work best for your congregation.
- Ask the session to approve the receipt of the Peacemaking Offering on October 6 or another Sunday during the Season of Peace.
- Decide and announce how the congregation will use its 25% share of the Offering. See "Ways Your Congregation Can Enhance its Commitment to Peacemaking" for ideas.
- Check to make sure you have received your standing order of materials and order additional materials if necessary.
- Set a goal as a challenge to the congregation.
- Visit the Season of Peace website.
- Create an article for your newsletter about the congregation’s past and current peacemaking ministries and how the Offering has supported these ministries in previous years.
- Utilize resources to fully engage your congregation in A Season of Peace.
- Use the Offering video in a worship service and other church gatherings. Download it or order online.
- Display the Peacemaking Offering poster in a high-traffic area of your church.
- Place Offering envelopes in the pews and one of three bulletin inserts in the bulletin on September 8. Present a minute for mission about how your congregation will use its 25 percent share of the Offering.
- Utilize a new bulletin insert on September 15, 22, and 29 and present one of the minutes for mission in the Leader's Guide or reproduce one in the bulletin. Remind the congregation how its 25 percent share of the Offering will be used.
- On October 6, use the worship resource for World Communion Sunday.
- Remind the congregation how its 25 percent share of the Offering will be used, and encourage members to continue to contribute throughout the month.
- Place Peacemaking Offering envelopes in worship bulletins or pew racks for your congregation's use on World Communion Sunday and in the weeks to follow.
- Return the evaluation to the Special Offerings office.
- In late October, report total giving to the Peacemaking Offering in an announcement or newsletter article. Please don't forget to thank the congregation for members' generous participation.
Ask the treasurer to remit the funds. Retain 25 percent of the Offering for the congregation’s peacemaking ministries and send the remaining 75 percent through your normal receiving site. (Your church treasurer will know the procedure.) If you have questions about fund remittance, call Central Receiving Service at (800) 728-7228, x5571.
Throughout the Year
- Periodically update the congregation with news of the local Peacemaking efforts that were made possible through its Peacemaking Offering gifts.