Awards and models of ministry
PHEWA seeks nominations for 2012 social justice ministries awards
deadline is feb. 15, 2012 for awards to be celebrated at ga 220 in pittsburgh
Louisville - The Presbyterian Health, Education and Welfare Association (PHEWA) is seeking nominations for seven ministry awards that will be celebrated during the 220th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in Pittsburgh next July.
Seven awards will be presented by PHEWA, part of the Compassion, Peace & Justice Ministry of the General Assembly Mission Council. PHEWA is a voluntary membership organization dedicated to social welfare and justice ministries.
David Hancock Award
The David Hancock Award is presented by Presbyterians for Addiction Action (PAA) to a church or church professional for a significant contribution in the area of addiction prevention, intervention or recovery.
- 2010: Faith Partners Ministry, House of Hope Presbyterian Church, St. Paul, Minnesota
- 2004: Bobbi Douglas
Margaret A. Fuad Award
The Margaret A. Fuad Award, also presented by PAA, honors a lay person who, as a volunteer or activist, is instrumental in getting his or her church and community involved in issues related to drug and alcohol abuse through education, awareness or treatment.
Community Transformation Award
The Community Transformation Award is given to congregations that, either through ecumenical or interfaith community ministry, or through a special project of the congregation, have been faithful and creative in ministry to and with the community. The award is presented by the Presbyterian Association for Community Transformation (PACT).
- 2010: Rebuilding Hope in New Orleans (RHINO)
- 2008: First Presbyterian Church of Tifton, Georgia
- 2006: First Presbyterian Church of Chickasha and Anadarko Presbyterian Church of Anadarko
- 2004 Comano recipient: Cristo Rey Outreach, Inc.
- 2004 UNCL recipient: The Pilgrimage
Breaking the Silence Award
PHEWA’s Presbyterians Against Domestic Violence Network (PADVN) presented their first biennial Faith in Action Award at the 2010 General Assembly. This Award honors a PC(USA) congregation or individual from that congregation that has demonstrated and continues to demonstrate a commitment to eliminating domestic violence, through educational, advocacy and other intervention efforts.
Faith In Action Award
The Presbyterian AIDS Network (PAN) presented our first biennial Faith in Action Award at the 219th General Assembly (2010). PAN’s Faith in Action Award honors a PC(USA) congregation that has responded to the HIV/AIDS pandemic by initiating or supporting activities within the United States in meaningful and lasting ways.
John Rea Thomas Award
The John Rea Thomas Award, presented by the Presbyterian Association of Specialized Pastoral Ministries (PASPM), is given to persons, organizations, institutions or congregations that have demonstrated excellence in the fields of pastoral care and counseling.
- 2010: The Rev. John F. and Julia P. Shaw
- 2008: Timothy Little, D.Min.
- 2006: The Reverend Jasper N. Keith, Jr.
- 2004: Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT)
Nancy Jennings Award
The Nancy Jennings Award, presented by Presbyterians for Disability Concerns (PDC), goes to a person, congregation or other PC(USA) entity that affirms, supports and advocates for the gifts, rights and responsibilities of people with disabilities in the life of the church. Find out more about 2010 nominations.
- 2010: The Rev. David E. Young
- 2008: Webster Presbyterian Church, Webster, New York
- 2006: OPENING DOORS Task Force on Disabilities of the Presbytery of the Cascades
- 2004: Bebe Baldwin
Florence Iversen Kraft Award
The Florence Iversen Kraft Award goes to a congregation that has demonstrated outstanding leadership in ministry with those who suffer from serious mental illness and their families; it is presented by the Presbyterian Serious Mental Illness Network (PSMIN).
Nomination criteria form
- 2008:First Presbyterian Church of Stillwater, Oklahoma
- 2006:Celebration of Life Presbyterian Church
- 2004:Hillsboro Presbyterian Church
PHEWA awards to be presented in 2013
John Park Lee Award
The John Park Lee Award has been presented at each PHEWA Biennial Social Justice Conference since 1969. The award recognizes and honors a Presbyterian who has done faithful and exemplary work in social welfare and justice ministries and exemplifies the qualities of concern, sensitivity and involvement for which Lee was known.
- 2011: The Rev. A. David Bos
- 2009: The Rev. Dr. Johnnie Monroe
- 2007: The Rev. George and Kathy Todd
- 2005: The Rev. William (Bill) H. Thomas
Nominate someone for the John Park Lee Award with a nomination form.
Rodney T. Martin Award
The Rodney T. Martin Award recognizes a significant long-term contribution made by the recipient to the ministry of PHEWA. This award is presented during the PHEWA Business Meeting at each PHEWA Biennial Social Justice Conference.
- 2011: The Rev. Bebe L. and Rolland G. Baldwin
- 2009: The Rev. Phil Tom
- 2007: The Rev. John D. Sharick
- 2005: Daniel Stoepker