The Multicultural Church Directory
A multicultural congregation or ministry is one that intentionally recognizes, celebrates and incorporates the gifts of a diverse membership:
- In worship (utilizing languages, art and diverse theological expressions).
- In leadership and ministry (power sharing in session, church committees and decision-making processes).
- In evangelism (providing the good news in a cup that people recognize with great appreciation and sensitivity to their cultural and traditional backgrounds).
Models of multicultural churches
- Bicultural congregations.
- Congregations with one cultural majority and significant influence from other cultures.
- Congregations with no one cultural majority.
- Nesting churches that provide homes for congregations of different cultures.
- New churches beginning as multicultural congregations.
- Churches being redeveloped in changing neighborhoods.
If your church engages in any of the above ministries, we would love to hear from you. Please help us tell your story as we work to locate the vital multicultural congregations in the PC(USA).
Email Raafat Girgis with the following information:
- Your church or organization name
- PC(USA) PIN
- Address, city, state, zip
- Phone and fax
- Church e-mail and Web address
- Pastor’s Name(s)
- Number of members (including long-time visitors)
- Percentage of congregation membership of a racial/ethnic/cultural constituency other than the dominant racial/cultural group
- What Racial/Ethnic/Cultural groups are represented in your congregation?
- Any addition comments or questions