From Ruth Brown in Congo
Interpretation Assignment schedule, 2013–2014
Thank you for your continued support of my mission co-worker position in the Democratic Republic of Congo, a position established in a partnership between the PC(USA) and the Church of Congo. In my work in Congo I am providing assistance to a variety of church-supported efforts that meet all three objectives of PC(USA) World Mission: (1) to identify and address the root causes of poverty, particularly as they impact women and children; (2) to communicate the good news of God’s love in Jesus Christ; and (3) to engage in reconciliation amidst cultures of violence, including our own.
In August I will begin my Interpretation Assignment (IA) in the United States, and during this time I hope to bring descriptions of our partnership for community development to you and to members of your church and community.
Please refer to my Interpretation Assignment schedule and please consider the list of meeting ideas (see below for both lists).
If your church is within the geographic areas listed below, and if your church or community groups would enjoy learning more about the community development programs of the church of Congo, please consider inviting me to speak at already existing regular meetings and contact me to schedule a time with your group (email@example.com).
Due to current travel plans, I will be able to respond to your email during the first weeks of August.
I hope to hear from you!
At What (Already Existing!) Meetings Could a Mission Worker Speak?
Think about what meetings already exist in your congregation and in your community. Consider your presbytery, the ecumenical churches in your area, the civic community, and the community at large. Then try to be strategic. The mission co-worker is there to share, educate and connect in as many ways as possible. Put the mission co-worker to use and use him or her wisely. Some example events are:
- Sunday school and worship
- Potluck supper; informal dinner and/or lunch get-togethers
- Senior Citizen’s Center gathering or mealtime meeting
- Mission Committee meeting
- Christian Education Committee meeting
- Hunger Action Awareness meeting
- Church World Service (CROP) and/or Bread for the World meeting
- Keynote speaker at a mission fair or presbytery meeting
- An interview with a local radio station or newspaper
- An interview with the editor of your church newsletter
- Book club
- Alternative Christmas planning meeting
- Interfaith dialogue groups
- The Jaycees or Rotary Club (International Rotary supports water projects worldwide, and local Rotary Club donations will receive matching gifts from Rotary International)
- Church camp discussion
- Vacation Bible School
- Prayer breakfast
- Bag lunch in a business area
- Presbyterian Women meeting
- Church Women United meeting
- College vespers, Inter-Varsity Fellowship, YMCA meeting, or prayer group
- Peace or Justice Committees
- Local University’s Agricultural Faculty meeting
- Mission Fair
- Church staff meeting
- Clergy Bible study
* * * * * * * * * * *
Interpretation Assignment Schedule
August 9-13 Illinois
August 14-26 Iowa
September 4-30 Virginia, Maryland
October 1-15 Texas
October 16-23 Jefferson City, Tenn.; Ashville, Montreat, Greensboro, N.C.
October 24-30 Atlanta, Ga.; Memphis, Tenn.; Birmingham, Ala.
November 3-6 Knoxville, Tenn.
November 10-27 North Carolina
December 2-6 ECHO agricultural conference, Fort Myers, Fla.
December 8-22 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina
January Virginia, Maryland, Delaware