Course of studies for the Academy for Missional Preaching
The Academy for Missional Preaching is a study of both the theory and practice of missional preaching akin to a D.Min. course of studies.
We are not accepting admissions to the Academy at this time. Watch for an online course in the future.
Before the Academy begins
- Read Introducing the Missional Church by Alan Roxburg and Choosing the Kingdom by John Dally.
- Do initial exegetical research for a passage you want to preach for the Academy.
Attend the Academy Year One where you will finish and preach a sermon you will deliver upon your return home
See the schedule for the year one
Between the Academies
- Do a contextual analysis.
- Do a sermon plan and preach following it.
- Work on missional preaching in your context.
- Upload a sermon you’ve preached during the year and invite others to comment on it.
- Read The Ministry of the Missional Church by Craig van Gelder, The Pastor as Minor Poet by Craig Barnes and Sent and Gathered by Clayton Schmit
Attend the Academy Year Two
- Be prepared to give a report on what’s happening on your mission front.
- Preach a sermon for feedback.
See the schedule for year two
After the Academy
Plan on sharing what you’ve learned with others in your presbytery and/or region.
This sounds very helpful. I will be applying for the MoRanch program. Thank you for hosting this!
I attended the West Coast version of the Academy and had a great experience. Rethinking the why, how and for what of preaching has been a big help in this changing church world!
This looks wonderful! We will be applying to come to Montreat.
http://gamc.pcusa.org/ministries/missionalpreaching/current/ March 23-April 1. Would love to have you both! You'd add a lot.
I'm interested in finding out a bit more about this, for both myself and my husband (Paul). When is the next Academy year 1 meeting?