The Academy for Missional Preaching
The Academy for Missional Preaching is a two-year academy for a select group of pastors in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). Sponsored by the Office of Theology and Worship, this academy takes the situations facing most preachers today seriously without compromising a commitment to biblical preaching. It does this by
- Helping members explore a theology of preaching big enough to see Christ as the Eternal Word who continues to speak yet today.
- Taking what the Bible says seriously through careful study.
- Doing contextual analyses that include not just the congregation, but the community and larger world, all of which are held within the larger Reign of God.
- Taking real people in real situations seriously without capitulating to cultural assumptions contrary to the gospel.
- Deliberately reflecting on the gospel we’re called to preach.
- Strategizing about how to preach the gospel in specific circumstances.
- Listening to one another preach and offering helpful, constructive feedback.
Living within a missional ethos together, the Academy’s work is comprised of two parts:
- Exploring what it means to be missional in word, worship and life.
- Improving our preaching of the gospel in today’s world. “Rarely do preachers get helpful preaching feedback once they leave seminary, and few homiletic continuing education events offer hands-on preaching coaching,” says Academy Director Teresa Stricklen. “The coaching is part of what makes this academy unique.”
In a retreat setting with time for prayer, solitude, study and fellowship, you can study in an academy comprised of other PC(USA) pastors that will:
- Give you a better understanding of what it means to be missional.
- Explore what it means to be missional in your context.
- Help you proclaim God’s good news through the Bible in such a way that you invite people to come join us along the Way of Christ, rather than just urging people to join Club Church.
- Open your preaching up to the Spirit’s transformation of your church.
- Help your church become more missional in its orientation.
- Offer preaching feedback designed to improve your preaching.
- Provide time and space for your renewal in worship, personal contemplation and Christian fellowship.
- Help you preach in a way that is attractive to the unchurched and churched alike without compromising the gospel.
Learn what the experience is really like
If you would like to have an academy in your region, contact Teresa.Stricklen@pcusa.org
Apply now for the Montreat Academy starting in April 2012
im 22years old and im a christian . I love my JESUS. i would like to get more knowlegde about because i want to spread the gospel of my JESUS. Thank you
is it possible to introduce mission accademy in south sudan for my people to learn and preach to other s particalerly to cattle rustler and war zone areas ?
I'm sorry, Pastor Mary, but we don't. We have no scholarship money, either, as we're working at cost.
Am saved Christ is the Lord,am a minister of word and sacrament with Presbyterian Church of East Africa Kenya(PCEA) My question is,do you accept pastors from other countries apart from USA and if yes,do you offer scholarships?