Travel ideas for a visit to Israel and Palestine
In a region of the world where the Christian presence is diminishing in number, and many of the faithful are emigrating, many churches continue to engage in ministries of teaching and healing, exemplifying a life of witness to the Risen Lord through service. Consider the following on your visit to Israel and Palestine:
1. Attend the Arabic / English service at St. George's Cathedral (Anglican/Episcopalian) in Jerusalem at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday mornings.
2. Plan a visit to the International Center of Bethlehem at the Evangelical Lutheran Christmas Church, on your visit to Bethlehem. Your group can even have lunch at the "Upper Room" restaurant! Make reservations in advance through your travel agency, or contact them directly. Learn more
3. Visit the Bethlehem Bible College to learn about their work and their ministry in the Bethlehem region. Learn more
Both of the above organizations run craft/gift shops, with olive wood, pottery, ceramics and jewelery made by local artisans! Consider shopping at their gift shops.
4. Visit with the Sabeel Ecumenical Liberation Theology Center, and join with local Christians and church workers/volunteers living and working in Israel/Palestine. Share a communion service and a meal with them, each Thursday at 12 noon. Arrange in advance. Learn more
5. Consider a visit to the Lutheran World Federation/August Victoria Hospital, on the Mt. of Olives, and learn about the ministry of health care and healing. Learn more Schedule your visit in advance with the local representative.
6. Consider staying at a Christian or church-operated guest house, instead of a three, four, or five-star hotel. The income generated by your stay helps to employ Christians who desperately need a steady income to support their families.
7. Attend vespers at St. James' Armenian Orthodox Cathedral at 3:00-3:30 daily, and listen to the fine voices of young seminarians singing in Armenian. Call 02-628-2231 in advance, for changes in place and schedules, due to feast days.
8. Visit Mar Elias Educational Institutions, on a visit to the Galilee. Consider a visit with any of the Christian-run schools throughout Israel and Palestine, and consider financially supporting them as they seek to nurture the next generation of young people of different faiths.
9. Visit the women's projects administered by the YWCA of East Jerusalem (Palestine), and visit their food production and income-generating projects in Jericho, which help women to support their families. Learn more
Consider employing the services of a Christian owned and operated tour operator/travel agency to help you plan your trip.
Trips to Israel/Palestine
The Palestinian Summer Celebration: Come and celebrate Palestine! The Palestinian Summer Celebration is a unique annual program that gives people from all over the world the chance to encounter the life, culture, and politics of Palestine. Learn Arabic and study Palestinian history at Bethlehem University, spend time with local families and volunteer with a community organization.
Siraj also partners with organizations and Travel Agencies globally in order to promote ethical and responsible travel to Palestine. Email for more information