Democratic Republic of Congo
Luebo is the historic, original location of Presbyterian mission work in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which begun in 1895. The mission station, located 200 km. from Kananga, the capital city of the Western Kasai province, was for many years the major center of Presbyterian mission activities. In more recent years, economic and political distress has left the hospital in serious disrepair. Buildings are deteriorating and equipment is sparse and antiquated. Yet a staff of fewer than 40 continue to provide a full range of medical services.
Luebo Hospital was founded with three buildings constructed in 1914; all are still in use. The largest building houses both surgery and patient rooms. A second building houses the obstetrical unit. A lab, x-ray facility, pharmacy and dispensary service all operate with minimal equipment and supplies from a third building. The unusable condition of some rooms has reduced patient capacity from 80 to 54 beds.
A prenatal clinic, family planning program and preschool child growth monitoring clinic all provide education and consultation. A vaccination program offers a full range of immunizations against childhood diseases. HIV testing is also available at Luebo Hospital.
Most of Luebo’s patients, who come from a vast rural area, earn less than $1.00 per day and have large families to support. Many are unable to pay the cost of their treatment. But upholding its history as a Christian hospital, no one is turned away for inability to pay.
Luebo Hospital is supported through Extra Commitment Opportunity (Account #051711)