National Sexual Assault Hotline / Línea de Crisis Nacional
Shimtuh-Korean Christian resources
Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. 1
Every two and a half minutes, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted. 2
One in six American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape. 3
1 in 10 (10 percent) of sexual assault victims are men. 4
In 2003-2004, there were an average annual 204,370 victims of rape, attempted rape or sexual assault. 5
About 44 in 100 (44 percent) of rape victims are under age 18, and 8 in 10 (80 percent) are under age 30. 6
Why should I care?
As Presbyterians, we believe in justice for all people, including women. The rationale behind our communal denouncement of violence against women can be found in the Book of Order [W-7.4002].
Justice is the order God sets in human life for fair and honest dealing and for giving rights to those who have no power to claim rights for themselves. The biblical vision of doing justice calls for:
- Dealing honestly in personal and public business.
- Exercising power for the common good.
- Supporting people who seek the dignity, freedom and respect that they have been denied.
- Working for fair laws and just administration of the law.
- Welcoming the stranger in the land.
- Seeking to overcome the disparity between rich and poor.
- Bearing wetness against political oppression and exploitation.
- Redressing wrongs against individuals, groups and peoples in the church, in this nation and in the whole world.
This pronouncement also comes from our encouragement of social activism in the world as a sign of the community of God. The Book of Order states this in G-1.0200:
The great ends of the church are the proclamation of the gospel for the salvation of human kind, the shelter, nurture and spiritual fellowship of the children of God; the promotion of social righteousness, the exhibition of the Kingdom of Heaven to the world.
1. Heise, L., Ellsberg, M. and Gottemoeller, M. Ending Violence Against Women. Population Reports, Series L, No. 11. December 1999. [back]
We are not responsible for material on any website other than our own.