Worship and Eco-Justice
What resources may help with discovering the biblical texts, reformed theological tradition, liturgical and musical resources for worship that includes care for all God's earth? How can worship be a part of our active earth-keeping activities, which we hope to integrate in all of our lives, as individuals and in our churches?
In the Presbyterian Church (USA) hymnals (including the new hymnal Glory to God), Book of Common Worship, Directory for Worship, and other worship planning tools, there are many great resources that name ways that all Creation praises God's name, and how we can give thanks to God for the wonder and beauty of the world around us. Explore these traditional, good tools and find out what rich resources exist already in our church.
Helpful websites for worship resources:
- Presbyterians for Earth Care (includes Presbyterian Hymnal list of hymns and a list of Scripture passages)
- Creation Justice Ministries (includes annual Earth Day Sunday resources)
- Eco-Justice Ministries
- Earth Ministry
- Web of Creation
- Environmental Ministries' Advent and Lent daily calendars for congregations and individuals
- Presbyterians for Earth Care's online Advent and Lenten devotional materials
Webinar on Eco-Justice Worship:
- Explore with worship leaders Neddy Astudillo, Claudio Carvalhaes, and Rob Mark what eco-justice worship can look like in various contexts: click here to watch the November 2013 webinar (on youtube). Note: the recording did not pick up the speaker webcam images, but it has slides and voices.
- Powerpoints from the November 2013 webinar: Webinar Opening and Closing powerpoint; Neddy's PEC Conference Worship powerpoint; Rob's Eco-Justice Worship Thoughts powerpoint
- Read the Eco-Journey blog to follow along with the worship services and other earth care activities of PCUSA congregations. Search the categories for "church earth care stories," "worship," and "worship resources."
Sample Orders of Worship
These sample orders of worship were developed collegially for a particular space and time for a particular community. Some are from a newly forming worshipping community, some are from a conference, some are from more traditional churches. We have been given permission to use them as a creative sounding-board for others to gather ideas and to feel inspired to work with their pastors, musicians, worship committees, earth care team, or others to create something fitting for the community using it. Please respect the communities who have shared these sample bulletins with us and refrain from judgment and from replicating them without permission. Many thanks to those who have shared! If you have some you would like to share, please let us know.
Eco-Justice Worship Collective, worship on the theme of reconciliation
Eco-Justice Worship Collective, worship on the theme of seeds and planting
Parraquia San Jose, Beloit, WI, World Communion Sunday pictures, click here.
Presbyterians for Earth Care Conference 2013 worship service powerpoints, click here.