World Food Day and the Food Week of Action
October 9–17, 2016
Our faith calls us to work for a world where everyone has sufficient, healthy and culturally appropriate food! And where those who produce and prepare the food are fairly compensated, respected and celebrated!
The global Churches Week of Action on Food (October 9-17) is an opportunity for Christians and others around the world to act together for food justice and food sovereignty. It is a special time to raise awareness about farming approaches that help individuals and communities develop resiliency and combat poverty. We are called also to examine our food choices and to call for policy changes that will ensure the right to food for everyone.
The Food Week of Action includes World Food Day (October 16), International Day for Rural Women (October 15), and International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (October 17).
Solidarity Actions for 2016
Fair Wages & Worker Justice
- Boycott Wendy’s, tweet about it, and deliver managers letters. www.boycott-wendys.org
- Support an increase in the minimum wage at the national level bit.ly/raise-wage and work locally for worker justice.
Trade and Food Sovereignty
- Say yes to fair trade and no to the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) at bit.ly/wfd-tpp
- Raise your voice against land grabs at bit.ly/wfd-grab
You can join the Food Week of Action wherever you are. Let us know you are ‘Going’ on the Food Week Facebook event. And if you are planning any sermon, event or related activity during the month of October, add it to the map and global listing.
Do these first two things right away. The rest can wait until October.
- REGISTER for ‘World Food Day & Land Grabs: Near & Far’ bit.ly/wfd-webinar
PHP Webinar on Oct 4th (12:00pm ET)
- Ask your pastor to preach about hunger and World Food Day in October.
Oct 9 or Oct 16 – Preaching about local and global hunger, and ways to address it
Oct 10–Support Fair Trade and oppose the Trans-Pacific Partnership—bit.ly/fairtpp
Oct 12–Agroecology is the path to food sovereignty. Learn about Agroecology at bit.ly/agroecolo
Oct 13–Call on Wendy’s to join the farm workers’ Fair Food Program www.boycott-wendys.org
Oct 14–Advocate for a higher minimum wage bit.ly/raise-wage
Oct 15–International Day for Rural Women—Support the seed and culture saving initiatives of Dalit, Adivasi and other rural women in Joining Hands’ South India Chethana network—bit.ly/chethana (type ‘Chethana’ in the donation instructions)
Oct 16–World Food Day—Push for strong EPA Farmworker Protection Standards—bit.ly/wfd-epa
Oct 17–International Day for the Eradication of Poverty—Help end land grabs bit.ly/wfd-grab
Worship and Theological Resources
World Food Day Prayer (from the Presbyterian Hunger Program)
Map of Actions and Events
Let people near and far know what you have planned for October, Food Week or World Food Day!
- Listing of Actions and Events
- Fill out this easy form to get your event in the List and on the map.