Enter a new Ministry Information Form
Instructions For entering a Ministry Information Form (MIF)
Church Leadership Connection (CLC) hopes these instructions will assist you in entering your Ministry Information Form (MIF) with CLC. Review all the instructions before you begin.
Before you begin
- Make sure your computer will run the CLC system. “CLC Minimum Operating System Requirements” can be found at “Printable Forms” on the CLC website.
- Download blank MIF Forms and Helps. From the CLC website, download and/or print from “Printable Forms” copies of MIF Part I, MIF Part II, and Yoked Church Information (if needed).
- The wisdom of a draft MIF. Completing a draft of your MIF off-line, gives you the time needed to gather information and compose answers without the CLC system time-out constraints. It gives you the time needed to edit your answers so they fit within the system’s character limitations. CLC strongly encourages you to answer the more lengthy sections of the MIF, especially the narrative questions, in a word processing document. You can copy sections of your MIF word document and paste them into your on-line MIF.
Obtain a user login and password. Your password will be a hodge-podge of case-sensitive letters, numbers and symbols. After logging in, CLC suggests you immediately change your password to one that is more easily remembered. Go to “Admin” at the top of your screen. Click on “Change Password” and follow the instructions. If you forget your login ID or password click on “forgot login ID or password” the system will allow you to create a new one. If you need assistance with this function contact a CLC consultant by telephone at (888-728-7228 ext. 8550) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For church positions. Obtain your user login and password from the moderator of COM or the Executive/General Presbyter. Your user login will begin with a letter, followed by two numbers then followed by your five digit PC(USA) church PIN number (e.g., P0150639).
- For Designated Pastors, New Church Developments or Pastors for a parish obtain your user login and password from CLC 888-728-7228end_of_the_skype_highlighting ext. 8550.
- For Governing Bodies, Seminaries and Colleges, or Other Non-Parish Positions obtain your user login and password from CLC 888-728-7228 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting end_of_the_skype_highlig ext. 8550.
CLC tips and hints for entering a MIF
- You have 2 hours per page to enter information into the system before the system times out. If you are unable to complete your application in this time period, select “save my place and return later” to complete your application.
- There are mandated character limits. The Brief Church Mission Statement and answers to the four narrative questions in Part II are limited to 1500 characters each, including spaces and punctuation.
- Completing your draft MIF. To get back to where you left off, click on “Resume” to the right of your MIF number, name and last update.
- CLC can help you. CLC consultants are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time, at 1-888-728-7228 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting ext. 8550 or email at email@example.com.
Entering MIF, Part I
Part I of the MIF ask for general information about your church or organization. To begin entering a form, go to (pcusa.org/clc) and enter your “User Login” and password.
- Entering MIF Part I
On the menu bar at the upper part of your screen, go to “MIF” scroll down to “Part I” and click on “Create MIF Part I”. If you completing a draft MIF, use the above steps but select from the menu “Update MIF Part I.”
- Church/Organization IDs: Churches use their five digit PC(USA) church PIN number. Other organizations use the five digit ID that you were given from CLC.
Non-parish positions can skip the following questions
- Church Size. On the pull down menu select the appropriate number of church members.
- Average Worship Attendance. Enter your average worship attendance for all regular worship services. Do not include special or one-time services.
- Church School Attendance. Enter the number of people (children through adults) who attend church school.
- Curriculum. List (within 150 characters, including spaces and punctuation) the curriculum most commonly used in church school.
- Seminary Debt Assistance Program. If your church has fewer than 150 members AND a budget less than $250,000 check the box “Certified as eligible for participation in the Seminary Debt Assistance Program.” See the Board of Pensions Web site for more information.
Racial Ethnic Composition of Church/Organization.
Using whole numbers that add up to 100% enter the racial ethnic composition of your church or organization.
Click on “next” at the bottom.
- Presbytery and Community Type.
- Presbytery. On the pull down menu, select the Presbytery where your church or organization is located.
- Community Type. On the pull down menu, select the community type where your church or organization is located.
Clerk of Session/Contact Person Information
- For church positions enter the contact information for your Clerk of Session.
- For Designated Pastors, New Church Developments or Pastors for a parish enter the presbytery contact person.
- For Governing Bodies, Seminaries, Colleges, or Other Non-Parish positions provide the contact information for the search committee’s primary contact person.
Click on “Submit Completed MIF”
- Position ID and Corrections. At this point you will receive a message from CLC with your position ID (e.g. 10001.aa or 10001.ab if you have 2 positions listed, even if one is inactive or has been deleted previously).
The system may also ask for corrections to your MIF. Simply go to the screen where the correction needs to me made, make the correction and click, again, “Submit Completed MIF!”
Entering MIF, Part II
Part II of the MIF ask for more in-depth information about your church or organization, including answers to narrative questions. CLC strongly urges you to answer the questions in MIF, Part II off-line, in a word processing document, where the information can be saved and then copied and pasted into the on-line form. NOTE: Responses to each narrative question are limited to 1500 characters including spaces and punctuation.
- Enter the CLC System. If you are not already in the CLC system, go to pcusa.org/clc., Click on “User Login”. Enter your Login and Password.
- Entering MIF Part II. On the menu bar at the upper part of your screen, go to “MIF” to “Part II” and click on “Create MIF Part II”.
- Position Type and Requirements on the pull down menu, click on the position type you are seeking.
- Employment Status. Click “Full-time” for a full-time position or “Part-time” for a part-time position. Ignore the “Open to both” button.
- Experience Desired. On the pull down menu, click on the minimum number of years of experience you are willing to consider. Your MIF will be matched with all persons who have this level of experience and above. If you are open to all levels of experience click on “First Ordained Call”.
- Language Requirements. Click on the language(s) in which the person who fills this position needs to be fluent.
- Deadline date. CLC does not recommend entering a deadline date unless you believe it to be absolutely necessary. If you enter a deadline date, know that the CLC system will purge your MIF from the system when the deadline arrives. This will mean that you will need to re-enter your MIF if you wish to continue your search beyond the deadline date.
When this step is completed click on “next” at the bottom.
- Mission Statement and Narrative Questions
NOTE: Non-parish positions answer the mission statement question and then may, if they choose, skip the rest of the questions.
Answers to these questions are limited to 1500 characters each, including spaces and punctuation.
References. List up to three persons who know your congregation or organization well. Include the contact information requested and their relationship to your congregation or organization.
- Position Information. Select the position type from the pull down menu
- Positions Description. Enter the Position Description, including major responsibilities, for which this person will be responsible.
- Description of Characteristics and Qualifications. Describe the characteristics and qualifications needed in a person who would fill this position. You may also wish to include information about the leadership style you are seeking in this individual.
- Leadership Competencies. Select up to (10) leadership competencies that you are seeking in this individual. For a definition of the competencies click on Reference Materials and select Leadership Competencies.
- Salary and Housing. Enter the minimum and maximum effective salary for this position. Effective salary includes salary and housing allowance/manse value combined (for pastoral positions). The minimum salary will be displayed on your MIF. The maximum salary is not displayed but is used for matching purposes only. Do not write “Negotiable”.
Housing for Pastoral Positions.
- If you have a manse that is part of the call, click on “Manse.”
- If a housing allowance is part of the call click on “Housing Allowance”.
- If you have a manse, but are willing to consider a housing allowance in lieu of manse use, click on “Open to Either.”
- Do not enter any amount in “Housing Allowance Amount”.
Housing for Non-Pastoral Positions. Click on “N/A” if this is a non-pastoral position.
Equal Employment Opportunity. All MIFs must answer both questions in the affirmative for the MIF to be included in the CLC system. Although the statement refers to instructions from the Committee on Ministry (COM), the statements are intended to indicate willingness to comply with PC(USA) Equal Employment Opportunity policies.
PNC/Search Committee Chairpersons. Enter the contact information for the chair of the Pastor Nominating Committee or Search Committee.
Click on “Submit Completed MIF!”
Corrections. The system may ask for corrections to your MIF, Part II. Simply go to the screen where the correction needs to me made, make the correction and click, again, “Submit Completed MIF!”
Success. The system will let you know that your MIF, part II, has been successfully saved. If you have not already done so, please make note of the entire MIF# (e.g., 01234.aa). You will need this MIF number, to look at your MIF, view all referred PIFs, and to make changes to Part II of your MIF.
Approval. Before your MIF can be circulated, it must be approved to by your Clerk of Session and the Committee on Ministry (COM) moderator for congregations. You can contact them directly and ask them to approve to your MIF on-line. A CLC system generated email will also be sent to them asking for approval. You can follow up with them to see that approval has been completed.
Saving a Copy of Your MIF. You may wish to save a copy of your completed copy of your MIF to your own computer.
- Login to the CLC website.
- Under “MIF” click on “View MIF Query”.
- Enter your MIF # (i.e. 01234.aa) and click “Submit”. Your MIF will be displayed.
- Highlight the entire MIF and copy and paste into a processing document.
- You may choose to save your document as a PDF, click PDF
- Save to your computer. You can now print and/or email copies of your MIF as needed.
- CLC Matching.
Once your MIF has been approved to it will be in the CLC system and available for matching with Personal Information Forms (PIF) in CLC. When matched, a list of the referred PIFs will be sent to the chair of the PNC or search committee, the presbytery EP/GP, and/or the Committee on Ministry (COM) moderator
- View Referred PIFs
Using your login and password, you are able to enter CLC to view the PIFs that have been matched to your MIF. On the “Reports” menu, pull down and click on “View Referred PIFs”. Any matching and referrals to your MIF will be listed. You can view a referred PIF by clicking on the PIF number.
- Update Your MIF.
If you wish to make changes to your MIF, enter CLC using your user name and password, and under “MIF” choose Part I or Part II and click on “Update MIF Part I” or “Update MIF Part II”. If you have 2 or more positions when you go to update MIF Part II there will be a pull down box, and make sure you update only the correct MIF Part II. Make changes and then click on “Submit Completed PIF!” Certain corrections, noted with a red asterisk, will make it necessary to have your MIF re-attested to before it can be re-circulated.
- Notification of a Call.
When a call has been extended and accepted for your MIF position, please notify CLC by entering the CLC system, going to “Admin” scrolling down to “Pending/Fill” and clicking on “Report a New Call Pending”. Fill in the requested information.